Friday, June 1, 2012

Strength in Numbers: The Raw Detox Diet

I always do best when trying to lose weight if I am doing it with friends.  This time, I convinced my co-workers to do The Raw Food Detox Diet with me for the last three weeks of school. We are at the end of week 2. Collectively, the four of us have lost around 10 pounds. 

It is really a great system. I knew that it worked - I had proof - My friend Heidi (Heidi's Raw Hub) has lost her pregnancy weight after 2 pregnancies. She is so convinced she is seeking nutrition certification so that she can become a health coach to help others achieve optimum health through a raw diet. 

So my co-workers and I take turns bringing food. The plan simplified is pretty simple.
  1. Raw fruit for breakfast - really all morning until 30 minutes before you eat your lunch. 
  2. Lunch is as many raw veggies as you want. Add a protein OR a starch - Never mix protein and starch because your body needs different digestive juices for each. The different digestive juices can cause fermentation in the body causing flatulence and a residue left behind in your body. ICK!
  3. Chocolate - 70% cacao or more - you can eat it any time! It is a quick elimination food and it doesn't leave much residue behind.
If this sounds at all interesting to you I suggest checking the book out of your local library. At first paying attention to the food combinations was trying. But when I stick to it my body seems to be working so well. When I don't, my body rebels. To top it all off, I am actually losing weight, I am not starving and I feel great!


I have tried some new recipes that I wanted to share with you. The way I cook (or don't cook RAW) is that I read recipes and modify them as I see fit. So these recipes are my modifications.



Pepito Pesto

1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup fresh basil
3 large garlic cloves
1/2c - 1c Olive oil (amount varies depending on desired consistency)

Place ingredients in the food processor and process until combined. Serve over your favourite pasta. I recommend pasta made from raw zucchini. I used a spiralizer that makes it into actual noodles. You can also use a vegetable peeler.





Bruschetta

6 - 8 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 c fresh mozzarella chopped to bite size pieces
1/2 c olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
salt & pepper to taste

Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Combine this dressing with chopped tomatoes and mozzarella. Serve on radicchio or endive leaves or atop zucchini pasta.



Super Sweet Green Smoothie

4 dates soaked overnight in 2 cups of coconut water
1 tsp of vanilla or the inside of a vanilla bean scraped
2 bananas
2 hand fulls of raw baby spinach

Throw in the blender. Blend until smooth. Drink up!




3 comments:

Heidi said...

These recipes look delicious! I can't wait to try them. Way to go, Venus!!! And way to go Elementary Staff!!! 10 pounds collectively is great progress. Good luck on your last week.

Christine said...

Hi. I too am starting the raw diet. I have tried to do this in the past and have often failed, even as I saw the weight drop and felt fantastic. I guess I was afraid to not eat cooked food and I missed it. One taste and then I was off the raw diet. I have high blood pressure and I want to be cured of this condition and not need medication. How is it going for you. Are you able to stick with it? Please update us. I too am a Catholic and was pleased to see I am not alone in my quest to follow the Church and eat a healthy diet.
God bless!

Crunchy Catholic Mom said...

Christine! I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to catch up with you. It has been a busy summer. The quest to eat healthy and lose weight continues.

I guess right now, with the stress of a new job and my love for emotional eating, my mantra is "one day at a time."