Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sustainability, Part 1

A couple of weeks ago, Nativity House had a visitor come to lunch who travels the world giving speeches on Sustainability and Eco-Justice. The conversation around the lunch table surely was invigorating, satisfying and challenging. I will talk more about that in Part 2 of this series...

The word that stayed with me from the conversation, a word that actually has been popping up for me much lately - sustainability.

In my work as Director of Faith Formation at St. Dennis, I encounter many families. I see good, good people bogged down by what our culture tells them is right and expected for their families. They are over-scheduled - dance, soccer, volleyball, piano, tutoring - the list goes on and on. Many times by the time to get to me at Faith Formation they are exhausted! And rightfully so. I am a working mom of an involved child. I totally get it.  

This weekend, Justin and I finally made it to the Eco-Justice Hermitage for a weekend away in silence, reading, praying, hiking - remembering what it is like to "just be" together.(You can read about our other adventures at The Hermitage here, here, or here) On our hikes, I spent much time thinking about that word - sustainability.

Sustainability in families. 

Justin and I spent a total of 40 hours away. The time away was so extremely valuable. I couldn't help but think, "All couples and families need this!"  We all need unstructured time away, in nature, with no phones, computers or TVs to distract us. This time is what makes family life sustainable.

When I think of all that flows out of marriage - encouragement for work, care for each other, patience, service, sacrifice. It's easy to answer the needs of our spouse out of frustration, exhaustion and sometimes even anger- when this kind of time is not taken. So, please, take the time - make the time. You can do it at Eco-Justice or find your own sanctuary. But every couple, family needs to have one.
***
Note the green moss on either side of the trail! First sign of Spring!


We followed this stream on our first hike. It was way down below. We hiked on the ridges above.




We found Lake Michigan! And where the stream meets the lake. You can see the ridge too!

Trees on the ridge overlooking Lake Michigan. I love how the branches are all twisted by the wind but still manage to reach up - up up up to the Sun.
Geometry! Triangle!

Back at Eco-Justice - the coolest homemade bread oven EVAR!
Back to the Hermitage


Journaling and Artwork



Hiking Day 2 - we found a trail down to lakeshore


That stream we followed yesterday.. up close and personal

Boots! So you can stand in the stream!

 
And then, just around the corner, the entrance to the gorge that we walked along the day before. Much to our dismay!
I could have only shown the beautiful pictures, but it is important to see! Hey Humans! We can do better than this!!!





No comments: