Friday, March 22, 2013

I gave up Shopping for Lent

Back in the fall a feeling started nagging me. 

There were a couple of events that turned the nagging feeling into a blaring trumpet blast. 


  • Once a week or so I clean out the refrigerator. I ended up with a small trash can full of spoiled food. Easily, at least $20 worth of food. 


  • There was a concert that I bought tickets for. It was a children's concert. For all of us to go it was about $50. I put the event on the calendar. We still managed to miss it. 


  • I bought a table at Good Will for $39 for the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Atria. I didn't have the truck with me so I told them that I would come back to pick it up. The weekend went by. The following weekend went by. They called me. They were going to put it out on the floor if I didn't come in and get it today...


These are examples of money just flitting out of my hands. The first one is much more common. The last two were big fat No-Nos that kinda wacked me upside the head.

That nagging feeling that I was talking about - Wastefulness.

I am a wasteful person. I shop. I buy things I shouldn't. Then it ends up that I can't even use them in a timely manner to get my money's worth out of them. I purge and get rid of many of the things I buy. 

I even started shopping at Good Will. However, my thought process was warped. I can buy whatever I want because, it's cheaper and I am actually recycling, keeping these items out of the landfill.  

There is a strange sense of entitlement that comes with shopping. I am an enlightened consumer I deserve to have the best food money can buy.or I had a rough week, I deserve a new outfit. or I would feel so much better about my station in life if I just had_____.

The reality of the situation is that I have enough. My closet is full of clothes. My pantry is full of food. My tank is full of gas. I have enough. 

So, I gave up shopping for Lent. Obviously, I still purchase the things that I need. I have a family - I have to pack lunches, which requires that I purchase some things.  This is my new way of decluttering. When I catch myself thinking, I will just go buy that - I stop and think again - I have everything I need. I have enough.

Because the reality is that I do have enough. The Good Lord has provided me with all I need. I need nothing more.  

When I stop filling my house with the surplus of goods that I have been convinced I need, I will have more time, energy and money to devote to things that matter much more in life - my family, my friends and the poor.


Here are a few links about wastefulness and living simply that I have found:






No comments: