Friday, October 1, 2010

Soyless Vegan Alfredo

Vegan Alfredo with Broccoli and Dried Tomatos





I have been trying to stay away from soy lately. There are loads of soy based vegan alfredo recipes out there. This is an original. I thought it worked out ok. If you try it, let me know how it goes.


Sauce

1 c cannellini beans with juice
1/2 of medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp brewers yeast
juice of one lemon

Throw all of this in the food processor. It should come out the consistency of a creamy alfredo sauce. If it is too thick add more olive oil. If it is too thin add more beans without the juice.

Heat the mixture to boiling and then toss with veggies and pasta.

I was planning to toss mine with a yummy spaghetti squash but when cut the squash open, much to my dismay, it was smelly and black.

Also, we have a great farm stand nearby that is brimming over with yummy tomatoes. I bought a quarter peck, sliced them up, drizzled them with olive oil, and threw them into the dehydrator. Gracie loved helping make "tomato chips."  And, we saved a bundle. Sun-dried tomatoes are not cheap!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never tried using Brewer's Yeast. What's the taste like? I always use Nutritional Yeast for cheesiness.

Crunchy Catholic Mom said...

Nutritional Yeast and Brewer's Yeast - I thought they were the same thing. I use Nutritional Yeast Flakes.

Crunchy Catholic Mom said...

Ok, so they are both the micro-organism,Saccharomyces cerevisiae. So they are the same thing but you can get them in many different forms - flakes, granules, capsules. I know too that they are very high in B vitamins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast