Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Week 6: Getting Back on the Wagon

So, let me think of some excuses for falling off the wagon: Superbowl Sunday!, Who knew there was going to be a blizzard - couldn't get to the gym for like a week! Back to work full time (it just happened to be the week from hell) - no time to think about what or what not to eat. PMS - I needed those carbs!

I am down from my starting weight. 3 pounds instead of six. But there was a 2 pound gaining and re-losing in there. So here I am, ready to get back on the wagon. I mean business, again.

What I would like is to get so good at these good habits that when stressful times come around I have good practice to fall back on.

Bye-bye Bad Habit # 4: Stress is Not an Excuse
Every once in a while we get reminders of stress busters. The things that come to mind: exercise, healthy eating, healthy sleep - all of the things that go out the window when we are stressed. So how the heck to do we get a handle on this when stress strikes and all the time for healthy eating, sleeping and exercising is no where in sight? What can I do? Any ideas?

Hello Healthy Habit: Be a Woman of Your Word
While that mindfulness I was talking about last time kicks in.... I need to be a bit more reliable for myself. And remember, "oh, yeah! It's not only about me!" If I want to add to our family, if I want to be alive to a healthy, happy old age and be around to see Gracie grow up to be a beautiful young woman; I need to do what I say I am going to do and sweep those excuses under the rug. Stress is going to come. The best way to conquer stress is to do the things already mentioned above.  Ok, enough said, back on the wagon.

Ok, I have some recipes around here somewhere... 



One of my favorite, easy meals is Mexican Breakfast. The best way is a tofu scramble. In this first one I did it the old fashioned way with scrambled eggs, homemade salsa verde and half of an avocado stuffed with red peppers. Spicy, fresh and filling.

I tried this new recipe from Family Fun - Indian Hand Pies It called for ground beef, but I used scrambled tofu, peas, carrots and a touch of garam masala for the filling. The shell is just a whole wheat pie shell. For the dipping sauce I blended fresh pineapple and marmalade (half and half.) This was surprisingly fast. It would also be good to make up a few and freeze for a quick dinner on the run. 

This was among my favorite! Meatless meat balls, sauce and polenta This recipe is a bit labor intensive but it made so many that I have meatballs in the freezer for a meatball sub or a redo any time. I had some italian style lentils in the freezer. I whipped that up in the food processor with some parsley, more garlic, walnuts, onions and brewers yeast; formed them into balls and baked for 20 minutes. So YummY!

Soup. I think that I need to eat much more soup. If one of my meals a day is mostly liquid that can't be a bad thing. This is White Bean, Rainbow Chard, and Tortellini Soup. It is surprisingly easy and very tasty. For this one I start with carmelized onions, and chickenless chik'n broth. Add the beans and tortellini. When the tortellini is cooked mix in the chopped greens. If you like top it off with a bit of parmesan or brewers flakes.




No comments: