Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Mother-Daughter Retreat: Year 4

This very well may have been the busiest end of summer/early fall to date. But somehow I managed to squeeze in our annual Mother-Daughter Retreat. Maybe it was due to Gracie's subtle remarks, "Mom, you are grouchy all the time." "Mom you are expecting too much out of me, I am only 9."

She has always had a way of making me stand up and pay attention. She was right. I was grouchy. She was right. While I was trying to sort out the demands of my work as a director of faith formation, directing Nativity House, moving our belongings and life to the basement, the death of Dear Fr. Mark- I was demanding a lot of independence from her. 

I heard her. So I scheduled it. Gracie and I took off work and school because it was clear that this was a dire need.


***

During our time together, there was a moment when Gracie's and my stubbornness met (as it often does.) I can't even recall what the struggle was over. That just proves how ridiculous it was. We both just dug our heals in and refused to give in to the other. Finally, in a moment of desperation, I crumbled. It was as if I could see clearly all future struggles with her - struggles of will between mother and daughter. 

I called her to come over and sit with me. I said, "Gracie, we need help. We get stuck in these silly arguments all the time and neither of us is willing to give in. We have to figure this out. What are we gonna do? Do  you have any ideas?"

Silence.

I kept going. "I think that we need to pray. Mama Mary has never let us down. I think we need to ask her for help."

Gracie agreed.

"Mama Mary, help us to be a better mom and a better daughter. Hail Mary, Full of Grace..."

Since that Thursday, October 13, we have had to stop and pray at least 2-3 times. And I am sure that we will have to again. Thanks Mama Mary for being the one we can come to. 


*** 

We're here!


On the trails




This swing is pretty much the greatest thing EVAR!


Creek Walking


Our dear goat friends


tissue paper painting




Back to the Swing!


Fresh Apple Cider!


This kitty walked with us everywhere we went. Kitty was on retreat too


We always have read aloud time. It has become a tradition. But this time we forgot a book! We found these in the tree house. Animal Poetry. Lovely.

***





No comments: