Monday, January 10, 2011

Confessions of One Fat Mama: A Challenge

It's true, there is no more denying it. I'm fat.

I have spent the last 10 years of my life getting to this point. Along the way, I have tried all kinds of things to lose weight. Some things have worked better than others. But I always end up back where I started -- back with the weight I lost.

Over the last year, I find that I am somewhere the middle of this vicious cycle 1. being mad at society for telling me I fat, 2. being content with my body,  3. waking up one morning disappointed that my clothes don't look right on my misshapen body, 4. convinced that this is the week when my habits will change for the better.

Bottom line.
I am lazy and have no will power and I am an emotional eater.

For whatever reason, my motivation has just not been there. I am really good at talking the healthy food talk.  But when it comes down to it, I love good food. I love to cook with all of the things that are not good for me - cheese, butter, cream, sugar.

I have even spent the last 10 years studying vegetarian, vegan, raw cooking in hopes that it would somehow convert me. And it did. For a little while. I do still believe that a vegan/raw diet is the best for me and the planet and all living things on it. But wrapping my mouth around that has been really hard lately.

Then a few months ago, it hit me.  My life is all not about me. SURPRISE!

As long as I continue on this trend, I continue be a poor example for Gracie. Justin frequently reminds me of the poor health I am promised to have if something doesn't change. He is right. There is a good chance that I will end up with diabetes and poor joint health later or not so much later in life. And, as long as I remain overweight my chances of ever having another child continue to drop.

So, I am on a quest - a life change - a good habit quest.


The Good Habit Quest
  1. Adopt 1 new good eating habit a week.
  2. Break 1 bad habit a week.
  3. Try at least 1 new vegan/raw recipe a week.
  4. Do 30 minutes of cardio activity at least 4 days a week.
I wonder if I can lose 40 pounds in 40 weeks.

Is there anyone else out there who has some good habits to share? Or good healthy recipes? Is there anyone who would like to join in this challenge with me? Things are always easier with friends. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely in on the trying new vegan recipes part of this challenge! I was just thinking, the other day, how I miss those few weeks when you, me and Jess were posting all those pictures from our shared cookbooks. Let's do it again! :)

Crunchy Catholic Mom said...

Yeah Allison!!

I miss that too!
I just checked out Veganomicon, Vegan Table and Vegan with a Vengence. Soo good.

I just made Roasted Garlic and White Bean Soup from Vegan with a Vengence. It was a party pleaser! The whole pot was gone!

Lori said...

Roasted Garlic and White Bean Soup sounds delicious! Please share the recipe!