Thursday, June 27, 2013

Vegan Lasagna

I have never really been much of a lasagna fan. I am not sure why but it has just not appealed to me...until I began delving into vegan cuisine. A few years ago my high school friends and I started a Christmas Eve Brunch Tradition and Vegan Lasagna has been at the center of this Vegan Feast. Each year there are new delicacies but the Lasagna is the mainstay. My friend Allison makes it and makes it well. I have never asked for her recipe but have tried my hand at it a few times with great success. Usually the pan is empty at the end of the meal. So here is a variation on Allison's theme.



Veggie Filling

1 large egg plant - chopped
1 sweet onion - chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms (optional - I realize mushrooms are controversial)
olive oil 
salt and pepper

Toss all of these ingredients with olive oil. Be sure to properly coat veggies. Bake in a 9x12 baking sheet for 30 minutes at 400. Stir after 15 minutes. 


Vegan Green Ricotta

1 brick of extra firm/high protein tofu drained
2 cups tightly packed fresh greens (kale, spinach, power green mix - any or all will do just fine)
3 large cloves garlic
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup of olive oil (maybe more for proper ricotta consistency)

Place all ingredients in  the food processor and blend until smooth. This should be the consistency of a textured sour cream.


Sauce

You could definitely by a pre-fab sauce and call it a day. But if you want something with oodles of flavor and zing, try this.


28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 cup tomato tapenade (sundried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic)
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil

Place crushed tomatoes and tomato tapenade in bowl. Set aside. Place remainder of ingredients in food processor and pulse until you have a smooth paste. Mix pesto paste in with the tomato mixture. Voila!

Now you are ready to put your lasagna together...


The Layers

additional layers...

I use Delallo Whole Wheat No Bake Lasagna Noodles. You could use any variety. I have found these particular ones to be the closest to authentic Italian and they bake up to al dente very nicely. I find them at Whole Foods.

Daiya Mozzarella Shreds I love this cheese substitute. It is creamy, and very tasty. Found at Whole Foods.

Here is how I layer my 9x12 lasagna pan.

  1. Thin layer of sauce
  2. No Bake Noodles - typically 4 across
  3. 1/2 of the Roasted veggies
  4. 1 cup Daiya Shreds
  5. No Bake Noodles
  6. Green Ricotta (all of it)
  7. 1/2 of the Roasted Veggies
  8. Thin layer of sauce
  9. No Bake Noodles
  10. Rest of the sauce
  11. Rest of the Daiya Shreds

Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let stand for 15 mins before serving.

I have made this lasagna up to 3 days in advance and let it sit in the fridge until it was needed. This actually is a better way to do it as the flavors have time to mature. 

There are many steps but the outcome is completely worth it! Enjoy!











No comments: