Thursday, December 19, 2013

Advent Traditions



I have a confession to make. We don't put up a Christmas Tree. We never have. In the beginning of our life together, it didn't make sense to put up a tree because we lived far from Chicago and Houston and those were the places we spent the holiday. So why put a Christmas Tree up if we weren't going to be around to enjoy it? I always felt a little sad about this. I always wanted  my own tree with my own ornaments.

Fast forward to today. We are rooted here in the Chicagoland area these days. We have a 6 year old daughter. I thought for sure that when this happened that we would definitely get a Christmas Tree. I thought that Gracie's pleadings would most definitely melt Justin's heart, he would cave and we would get a tree.  Currently, Justin is in Korea. Before he left, in quite a defiant tone, I told him that while he was gone I was going to get a tree.

So he is gone. Did I get a tree? No.

I have been thinking and praying about it. In the end it was Gracie that helped me realize why we don't need a tree. We were in the grocery store and she said, Mommy, we need to get cranberries for the fireplace. You know, like we do every year. 

That was when it dawned on me that we have instilled some very important Advent traditions that Gracie has come to expect. 

Advent is a time where we are called to slow down and ponder the light that Christ brings to each of us each and every day. For me and my family, this means slowing down and simplifying life. 

Here are some of the Advent Traditions that we have.
  • Making as many Christmas Gifts as possible. (For last years craft)This helps us avoid the rush of Christmastime Consumerism, slow down, and pray for each person as we craft their gift. The Christmas Shopping Rush - in the grand scheme of things will only make me feel worse as I can not afford the perfect gift for each person in my family. Gracie said to me just yesterday, the perfect gift is God's love. I asked her how do we give that? She said we love and we pray.
  • The Advent Wreath  We gather around the Advent Wreath and sing  Rejoice, Rejoice, Emmanuel shall come to you, O Israel.
  • Cranberry Garland Gracie strings cranberries to dress the hearth. 
  • The Manger Scene
  • Advent Carols We listen to Advent Carols.  Then for the 12 days of Christmas we listen to Christmas Music. You can access my Spotify Playlist on Facebook.

Advent is a season of slowing down and relishing in the things that bring us closer to Christ. After thinking and praying I realized that a Christmas Tree will not do that for us. Really, it is a place to put unperfect presents. Because the most perfect present I can provide is prayer and love anyway, Right?


No comments: