Monday, September 21, 2015

Harvest Recipes: Tomato Jam


Last year we had so many tomatoes that I actually got tired of canning tomato sauce and salsa. This was a first for me and I found myself seeking out new tomato recipes. I stumbled upon tomato jam and jelly recipes. I was totally in foreign tomato lands but was completely intrigued. I tried a few different variations last  year and they were all positively delightful. This jam is wonderful on a cracker with goat cheese or a slice of manchego, or on a ham and cheese melt. 

Here is the nuts an bolts of the recipe and then you can add other flavors as you see fit. Some of the variations that I have added are ginger & lime peel, lemon peel, 1 jalapeno and lemon peel - to name a few.  My most recent creation  was jalepeno, green tomato, lemon zest and it is positively delightful!

***

6 cups of pureed fresh tomato (green or red)
3 small jalepeno peppers pureed (optional)
6 cups of sugar 
Juice of 1 lemon/lime
zest of 1 lemon (optional)

Add ingredients above to a large dutch oven pot. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 10 mins. Add 2 packets of gel pectin. Stir until incorporated. Raise to boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Ladle into sterile half pint jars and process accordingly.  I always seal with sterile lids in a boiling water bath for 5-8 mins. 

This recipe makes 8 half pints.



No comments: