Saturday, February 18, 2017

What hit me

The view from the 4th floor of Loyola's Information Commons - site of the symposium on Friday. 
For the last two days, I spent my days exploring the University of Loyola at the Dorothy Day Symposium. There were so many wonderful things about the symposium. Through all of the various presentations by those who knew her, those who  were her family  members, scholars, dreamers what I heard were two things.

I heard her voice. In the quotes of her writing and first-hand stories of her life. The picture of this woman devoted to a harsh and dreadful love in action was presented and we were urged toward a continuing revolution of the heart.

First 
Kate Hennessy, Dorothy Day's youngest granddaughter was present and she talked about the impetus for her new book,  The World will be Saved by Beauty. I look forward to reading the book and sharing the story of Dorothy Day, her daughter and her granddaughter - this strong womanhood - with Gracie Day. One quote from the reading of the preface touched me:
We all need to live our lives as if we are Dorothy's children and grandchildren, being comforted and discomforted by her as she invites us to be so much more than how we ordinarily see ourselves and, perhaps more important, how we see each other.

Second
Justin re-introduced me to Dorothy Day through her writings, through the Sacramento Catholic Worker, Loaves and Fishes over 15 years ago.  In the grand scheme of things its really a short time ago but, it was the start of a new journey. It set Justin and I on a new path. 

Robert Ellsberg, quoting Kate Hennessy closed his talk "when you meet her [Dorothy Day], you spend the rest of your life wondering what hit you."  And he said, "I met her over thirty years ago and I am still wondering what hit me."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Venus. You write and share so well. Love and peaces, Peggy