Wednesday, March 1, 2017

To the Roots


Happy Ash Wednesday!
This is the first Lent in many years that I have not been planning my Lenten devotion for weeks on end before Lent is even in sight. That is how much of this year has been quite honestly - lacking intention. There, I said it. Put words on it.

Then over the last two weeks 2 things happened. 

  1. I attended the Dorothy Day Symposium at Loyola in Chicago (read about it here)
  2. I went home to Houston for a visit
Not so mind blowing. But they were. With both of these recent experiences the words, back to the roots,  kept coming to mind. 

So here we are, the first day of Lent. What is the devotion? To get back to the roots of who I am - focusing on my relationship with God, Jesus, Holy Spirit - and because of that Trinitarian image and likeness focusing on my relationships with others (family, friends, the saints) - with intention.

What are the foundational relationships in your life? Who are your role models? Who do you look to for support? Who looks to you for support?

***
This last weekend in Houston, I realized that it had been 2 years since I traveled home. Yikes! I savored the time with my loved ones. Time is precious. These people are my roots, they are where I come from. I carry them with me whether I am intentional about it or not. Intentional relationships.


(for pictures of our adventures)


Cousin Kaleigh! I was her babysitter. 

She used to be Grandma, but now we call her G.G. and Cousin Melissa. 
The cousin I grew up with, we were inseparable.

Uncle Mark and his Grand-babies! Pure Joy!

Zoo Carousel

Zoo Aquarium

Her favorite animal! Piranha!

Gracie and G.G. at the Zoo


Uncle Michael shows Gracie his pet catfish


Chicken Cousin

Granny Rita is 90!

Granny Rita and two of her daughters Aunt Paula & Aunt Linda

Uncle Rick Selfie

Joy! 

Old Friends! Surprise! We randomly ran into each other at mass! 

 Jessica! My oldest friend! and our kids at Mardi Gras! 

Gracie and Keoni enjoying the ocean.

Must use energy before sitting in an airport and on the plane!

No comments: