Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Liturgy = Work



I hear it all the time. "I don't know how you do what you do."  "You have so much going on, I don't know how you have time for sleep."  "If I did all of what you do, I would be overwhelmed all the time."

I have heard these comments a little more frequently lately and they have led to me reflect on the notion of work. 

For many of us work is drudgery. Work is the menial, or gargantuan tasks that weigh us down: folding the laundry, doing the dishes, getting that project done before the deadline, presenting before the big boss. And let's not forget the workplace drama that comes with work: smelly diapers, sibling rivalry, filling in for the person who doesn't pull their own weight, etc.

As I reflect on the work of our nubian goats - Ivy, Rua, and Kirk - I notice how they go about their work of clearing brush.  With vigor and joy.  It is no doubt that they are doing what they were created to do.

Work

I think of the work of the Apostles after the Ascension. They went about their work of building up the church, the kingdom of God on Earth, with joy and vigor and confidence!

Is it a coincidence that the word liturgy means work?Liturgy is the very work of building God's kingdom right here on earth. 

I am calling for a paradigm shift.

It's true. I am a busy person. I work much and hard. But I take great joy in knowing that my work is indeed building up God's kingdom. All the way down to folding and sorting socks, cleaning out the chicken coop, planting tomatoes, cooking dinner, reading a bedtime story - whatever the work, I do it with vigor and joy.

Paradigm shift

Liturgy = work

What is your work?


***




Kirk, Our Nubian Buckling


Kirk chows down on his afternoon snack, donning a Bears tee


Ivy and Rua share a twig from a wild rose bush


Ivy, Queen of the Mountain!




No comments: