Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Summer Goals

Summer: Week 1
At the beginning of summer I made a promise to myself that I was going to be more creative this summer. To help me along in this goal I purchased a few new shiny items: watercolors, art markers, a sketch pad and a pack of watercolor paper. I vowed that I would use up these items by the end of the summer.

The first week went very well. I created many different watercolor paintings and got underway on my art sketch journal.

As with many things that start with a mad flurry of activity, week 3 of summer the creating came to a dead halt.

***

10 days ago something new happened. I had a small accident of falling out of a pool. I have discovered that it takes real talent to fall out  of a pool rather than in. The fall resulted in a concussion.

I have learned so much over the last 10 days. I learned way more about concussions than ever. When you have a concussion any screen time at all strains your brain. I could actually feel the strain and I would fatigue almost instantly. I also learned that I am not an easy person to slow down. I know it's not a big surprise. A good friend of mine was recounting a story of struggle; she talked about how important struggle is in life because it helps us be more compassionate and empathetic. This last week has definitely helped me grow more in those areas.

So what is a person to do when screen time and reading books is a brain drain? Create! Little did I know that a week of brain recovery would lead to aiding in completing my summer goal. I spent two entire days just painting. And one of those days Gracie spent the entire day with me. And the real kicker? It was all out on my patio, under the umbrella, with Izzy warming my feet and a herd of goats and flock of chickens looking on.




inspiration ready



practicing faces




Mary is always close by


The Mary Garden, Milkweed, and a Precious Visitor


Gracie's Orange
Gracie's Color Study

A moth

A swallowtail


1 comment:

kes411 said...

Great work, I love the vibrant colors!! You are an inspiration, Venus!!