Sunday, November 11, 2012

Feelin' Good; Not Feelin' Fat - Part 2

When I was a vegetarian/vegan I felt the best. I was also pretty slim. Over the last many years I have been dabbling in the raw food world and found again, that when I eat that way I feel good. A few weeks for a 2 week period of time, I made an honest effort to eat raw food for the first two meals of day. The third meal was a vegan or vegetarian soup. For those two weeks I felt great and lost 2 pounds. The most that I had lost for the 6 weeks before counting calories like a crazy woman. 

So here are some recipes that I have fallen back on recently. When I eat this way, I just feel better even if I don't lose the desired weight, I feel good!

Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
 
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp margarine or butter
2 cups chopped sweet potato
1/2 cup fresh crunchy peanut butter
4 cups of broth (I used a mix of chickenless chicken broth and veggie broth)

for topping...
1 cup of roasted salted peanuts
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp sweet chili sauce

  1. Melt margarine and sautee onion until translucent
  2. Add sweet potato, and broth. Simmer until the sweet potato is just tender enough to insert fork easily (about 1o minutes).
  3. Add peanut butter. Stir until fully dissolved. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until sweet potato falls apart when fork is inserted.
  4. Put the peanuts, garlic, sweet chili sauce (more or less depending on how spicy you like it) pulse until garlic and chili sauce is evenly distributed through out peanuts
  5. Serve soup with the spicy peanut mixture as garnish
  

Tempeh Ruebens

1 package of Smokey Tempeh Strips Fakin Bakin; browned
Raw sauerkraut
Fresh Spinach
Swiss Cheese (or not)
Multi-grain mustard
Marble Rye Toast 
 
Make a sandwich and yum it up!


No comments: